From: Willie WY Wong <wongwwy@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : suddenly Python 3 appears
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:39:47
1 On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:08:52AM +0200, Penguin Lover Marc Joliet squawked:
2 > 2.) The full blown interactive solution: IPython. You can create a session and
3 > configure which modules you want preloaded via startup scripts. This is
4 > overkill for what you want, I think, but IPython is a much nicer interactive
5 > Python interpreter than python itself. For instance, you can reuse previous
6 > outputs, e.g. "Out[2]", to get the output from the third command you entered
7 > (indexing starts at 0). Inputs can be similarly recalled by referencing
8 > "In[i]".
9
10 Yes, I recommend ipython too.
11
12 > 3.) Put the "import" line in its own file and put it in the variable
13 > PYTHONSTARTUP, e.g. "export PYTHONSTARTUP=/path/to/my/script.py". Python
14 > executes it's contents before presenting the prompt, so you can put whatever
15 > imports you want in that script. It's simple, and if the python interpreter is
16 > enough for you, then I'd go with this.
17 >
18 > There are probably more possibilities, but this is what I can think of right
19 > now.
20
21 Unless you want to load the math module every single time you start
22 Python, it is perhaps better to create an alias (say, python-calc)
23 in bash (or shell of your choice) using the `-i' option of python
24 like
25 alias python-calc='python -i loadmath.py'
26 or if you only need one single command
27 alias python-calc='python -i -c "from math import *"'
28 which will give you an interactive session with the math functions
29 preloaded.
30
31 Cheers,
32
33 W
34 --
35 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
36 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton