From: Hans de Hartog <dehartog@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What to do if packages are old?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:22:25
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm currently evaluating some exotic packages in the portage tree
4 and found out that they're almost 2 years old, don't compile or
5 crash immediately.
6 When I go to their home page or forums, I see that lots of new
7 versions have been released.
8
9 What to do about this? I'm not going back to the early 90's to
10 play around with tarballs, ./configure, make && make install and
11 after a few months end up in the hell of shared library
12 dependencies and systems being polluted beyond repair.
13
14 After all, that's why I've choosen Gentoo in the first place.
15
16 Should I
17 - kindly ask somebody to do something about it?
18 - try to make an ebuild from a tarball?
19 - something else?
20
21 Thanks for your advice!
22 Hans.