From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Openoffice being replaced?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:11:13
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2011-07-28, Mick<michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> All sounds good, except that libreoffice requires acres of space to
6 >> emerge
7 >>
8 > Is it any worse that OOo was?
9 >
10 > Both took hours, but beyond that, I didn't pay much attention.
14 My build took about 3.3Gbs of drive space. I ran du just about 5
15 minutes before it finished so that is pretty close. I would say that
16 4Gbs should be enough at least on a setup like mine. You don't want to
17 push your luck to far. lol
18
19 >> and on at least two machines I'll have to move to binary.
20 >>
21 > A few days ago, it took me three tries on one of my machines to get
22 > libreoffice to build. I think it ran out of disk space the first time,
23 > though the error messages were rather misleading.
24 >
25 > The second time I deleted some stuff from the distfiles dir about half
26 > way through the build, and it turns out they were still needed later
27 > in the build).
28 >
29 > The third time, it worked. :)
33 On my machine, it took this:
34
35 root@fireball / # genlop -t libreoffice
36 * app-office/libreoffice
37
38 Thu Jul 28 12:33:11 2011 >>> app-office/libreoffice-3.3.1
39 merge time: 1 hour, 9 minutes and 33 seconds.
40
41 root@fireball / #
42
43 I did stop it with a ctrl Z for about 5 minutes. I was deleting stuff
44 to give it some more room. This is OOo:
45
46 Tue Jul 5 05:15:01 2011 >>> app-office/openoffice-3.2.1-r1
47 merge time: 50 minutes and 27 seconds.
50 That's about a average. Some were binary installs. I can't recall why
51 I did that now but it was since it only took a minute or so.
52
53 That's the report from this rig. AMD 4 cores running at 3.2Ghz with
54 16Gbs of ram. No tmpfs this time. That wouldn't be fair since I had to
55 stop it for a few minutes.
56
57 Dale
58