From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DNS testing
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 21:06:32
1 On Tue, 24 May 2016 14:43:32 +0000 (UTC)
2 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > So I've been manually (hap-hazardly) testing a variety of dns servers
7 > by just listing them first in /etc/resolv.conf. There seems to be a
8 > bit of buzz about
9 > OpenDNS and some other dns servers as to speed and security.
10 >
11 > What (automated) tools do we have on gentoo to profile various dns
12 > server for speed? Security? Anything else?
13 >
14 > I find myself using CLI and various tools and then the data is
15 > not collected over time and averages. Surely there is some automated
16 > tools for this? I'd like to get more pro-active on dns testing. Maybe
17 > something more robust in nagios? munin?
18 >
19 > Maybe the easiest thing to get something going is to alter
20 > mirrorselect? [1] From a workstation with promiscuous ethernet.
21 > Eventually, I'd like the code(s) running on a transparent bridge, if
22 > anyone has that sort of configuration that you'd be willing to share?
23 >
24 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mirrorselect
27 > curiously,
28 > James