From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two new-install questions
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 05:40:58
1 On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 01:27:06AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > 1) Look Ma... no cpio. During my first attempt to build a kernel, it
3 > died because the process couldn't find "cpio". I ran "emerge -1 cpio"
4 > and tried again, finishing successfully. "emerge -p --depclean" wants
5 > to remove it, which should not be happening. To overcome that I ran
6 > "emerge --noreplace cpio" which put cpio into my world set, keeping it
7 > safe. Why is this happening in the first place?
8
9 Discussed here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/731666
10 and here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/696840
11
12 Summarised, this dependency is triggered by CONFIG_IKHEADERS, which has been
13 configured too obscure to pull in cpio for everyone (hence the WONTFIX status
14 for the latter bug report).
18 Ashley Dixon
19 suugaku.co.uk
22 DA96 D18A