From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 17:42:59
1 Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012, 19:25:29 schrieb Michael Hampicke:
2 > > nice idea - but that didn't help in the past. Why should it help now?
3 > >
4 > > The question is - why does disk IO make the mouse jerky and delays
5 > > keyboard
6 > > input? That is just idiotic.
7 >
8 > It was just an idea, but maybe there's something wrong on the hardware
9 > side? Broken cable, hard drive about to die?
10
11 no, and this problem has been there since Suse 6.2 and kernel 2.2
14 > Have to checked the SMART data of your hard drive lately (error log,
15 > relocate sector count). You can also run some tests with smartctl.
16
17 of course
20 > Or monitor your IO with dstat or iotop. iotop tells you which app causes
21 > high io load.
22
23 cp of course
26 > Or maybe you kernel is using some generic and slow driver for your ata
27 > controller instead of an optimized one?
28
29 seriously...
32 > Personally I never had IO problems on linux unless theres was something
33 > wrong with either the hardware or the kernel driver.
34
35 good for you
38 > Hope that helps.
39