From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 17:17:09
1 On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 6:59 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >
5 > DAS is direct-attached-storage. I don't think you want that.
6 <SNIP>
7 > I was thinking DAS was not a good option. It seems like a feature
8 removed and cheaper version of NAS.
9
10 I've never touched a DAS box but my limited understanding is that it's an
11 external box that interfaces to your computer. In your case that might
12 attached to your backup machine, or is Rich or someone can point
13 you toward an appropriate RP4 or some other single board computer
14 it could attach to that. The problem will be the interface. In big rack
15 mount servers these interfaces are often some high end version
16 of PCI Express with Multi-gigabyte/second interfaces. You're just
17 not likely to find something like that on an RP4.
18
19 If you really wanted to tinker you can always find used rack mount
20 servers being retired from cloud hosting services on Ebay. They
21 generally come with fast Ethernet interfaces and more than
22 enough compute power but likely not as much disk space as
23 you seem to want. (There's lots of used Synology boxes there
24 also...)
25
26 I still think that an 8TB USB drive from Amazon for around $100
27 would meet your needs. Off load the stuff you don't need to
28 access from backups immediately, through the drive in your
29 fire safe and you suddenly have 8TB free on your
30 backup machine. It's slow, but it's easy and requires no new
31 computers and hence to mental bandwidth.
32
33 Good luck.