From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rc single, rc default console login
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:25:44
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
> Hi folks, > > I from time to time will go to a console and do a rc single to go to > single user mode. I have noticed something weird when I go back to rc > default tho. On the #1 console, it acts and looks like I am logged out > but when I type in the user name root, it acts like it is a command. > Same with the password. However, if I just type in a command, it spits > that back out too. It doesn't seem to like a login or a command. > > It did this a bit ago. I just typed in junk and let it reach the bad > login limit and reset the console. It then gave me a login and let me > do a legitimate login. It cleared the screen which is what is in > .bash_login so I know I am logged in. > > This is just sort of weird to me. The screen when it gets through > starting services looks just like it does when I reboot. I see the last > few services at the top then my login prompt at the bottom. Everything > looks normal but it's not. What can I check? Is this normal? When I > type in rc default should something reset tty1 so that a new login is > required? It acts like it is still logged in as root which could be a > security problem for some. Just curious really. > > Dale > > :-) :-)
Sounds like it's not closing out of the existing shell on the terminal but is till starting a login process on top of it. The lazy fix is to, when you go single user, throw a " & logout" on the end of the command to make sure the shell closes out. If you want to poke around and see, for certain, that it is doing what I'd guess it is.. change your inittab and add another login in single user mode on tty2, log in, and check "w" for an active session on another tty. -- Poison [BLX] Joshua M. Murphy