From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] slightly OT, laptop for gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 02:39:09
1 On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 20:21 -0500, David Relson wrote:
2 > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:29:58 +0000
3 > Mike Williams wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Thursday 14 February 2008 22:58:13 David Relson wrote:
6 > > > Have you thought about a PS/2 to USB adapter? I'm presently using a
7 > > > PS/2 keyboard _and_ a PS/2 mouse connected to a single USB port
8 > > > (with a "Y" adapter -- dual PS/2 inputs and USB output).
9 > >
10 > > D'you know what, I didn't even realise such a thing existed!
11 > > I've probably got dozens of USB to PS2 adaptors, and never imagined
12 > > the opposite.
13 > > A dual PS2 to USB could well do the trick, and my local Maplin have
14 > > some in stock, a bit pricey but the company will pay.
15 >
16 > Here in Michigan they seem a bit pricey, as well. A single PS/2 to USB
17 > adapter is a few dollars but the dual PS/2 to USB "Y" adapter is $16.00
18 > (or worse). I had hoped to use one with my PS/2 only KVM but the combo
19 > doesn't work. I suspect the issue is with the KVM as I have 2
20 > different "Y" adapters and neither works. Sigh :-<
21
22 The Dell business models (precision) docking stations have 2 PS2 ports.
23
24 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DELL-Dock-Station-PR01X-LATITUDE-INSPIRON-FREE-DELIVERY_W0QQitemZ320215888408QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3709QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
25
26 A docking station would be an excellent idea if you need the peripherals
27 to work without fussing with cables. If/when you do need to pick it up
28 to move / replace something, you don't need to worry about unplugging &
29 replugging 6 different cables in the right spots... You can even tie /
30 screw the docking station down (or get one of those D-View laptop
31 stands)
32 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dell-D-View-Laptop-Stand-NEW_W0QQitemZ200199102199QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3708QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
33
34 sorry about the ebay links, but dell of course doesn't list these things
35 in their "products" page...
39 The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
40 discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
41 -- Isaac Asimov
44 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list