From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to compress lots of tarballs
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 17:19:23
1 On 30/09/2021 00:17, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 5:48 PM Wols Lists<antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> An LVM snapshot creates a "copy on write" image. I'm just beginning to
4 >> dig into it myself, but I agree it's a bit confusing.
5
6 > So, snapshots in general are a solution for making backups atomic.
7 > That is, they allow a backup to look as if the entire backup was taken
8 > in an instant.
9 >
10 > The simplest way to accomplish that is via offline backups. Unmount
11 > the drive, mount it read-only, then perform a backup. That guarantees
12 > that nothing changes between the time the backup starts/stops. Of
13 > course, it also can mean that for many hours you can't really use the
14 > drive.
15 >
16 > Snapshots let you cheat. They create two views of the drive - one
17 > that can be used normally, and one which is a moment-in-time snapshot
18 > of what the drive looked like. You backup the snapshot, and you can
19 > use the regular drive.
20
21 Yup. I'm planning to configure systemd to do most of this for me. As a
22 desktop system it goes up and down, so the plan is a trigger will fire
23 midnight fri/sat, and the first time it gets booted after that, a
24 snapshot will be taken before fstab is run.
25
26 Then I'll have backups of /home and /. I won't keep many root backups,
27 but I'll keep /home until I run out of space.
28
29 And that's why I suggested if you want a separate backup rather than a
30 collection of snapshots, you snapshot the backup and use in-place rsync.
31 Of course that still means you need to quiesce the bit you're copying,
32 but you could back it up piecemeal.
33
34 Cheers,
35 Wol