From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 22:54:30
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 16:33:10 -0500, Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Not sure which country would be a reliable location though, I
5 >>> wouldn't trust Western European countries either.
6 >> USA is currently the best option since there have never been proven
7 >> backdoors in made in usa hardware but plenty in chinese made hardware
8 >> such as the recent motherboard hack chip scandal.
9 > So that proves that US manufacturers are better at hiding their back
10 > doors?
11 >
12 > Or is it a numbers game, there are a hell of a lot more systems made in
13 > China, so the chances of a backdoor being discovered is higher.
14 >
15 > Either way, lack of evidence of insecurity is not proof of security.
19 I think the best thing to do, trust none of them until proven secure.
20 Let people test them, try to hack into them and do other things to see
21 if there is a backdoor or not.  The same with encryption.  One can say
22 it is secure but until it is tested very hard for a significant amount
23 of time, one never knows if it is or not.  Some security problems/holes
24 don't show up for years.
25
26 Dale
27