From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] proper subject lines
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:44:54
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sonntag, 13. Juli 2008, maxim wexler wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi group,
5 >>
6 >> I would like to raise my voice against the use of overly long subject lines
7 >> that run out of space on the line provided.
10 > what is 'overly long' and what space are you talking about?
13 >> Complete sentences are not necessary. A few, well chosen words should
14 >> suffice and spare the user the nuisance of opening mail that ultimately is
15 >> of no value to him.
18 > so you are opening mails if the subject is a sentence no matter what the
19 > sentence is telling you?
23 I prefer as much info as possible myself. Sometimes the subject can be
24 one thing but because there is little info in it, it turns out to be
25 something else. Of course, a error message can be really nice too.
26 It's good if you are searching for the error you are having. I would
27 rather have a long one than a short one with not enough info to know
28 whether I can help or not. Of course, the one for this is short but
29 doesn't mention anything about others being to long. I was hoping to
30 see someone suggesting that people should have better than "need help"
31 or something. Maybe it should have been " can we have shorter subject
32 lines please" or something like that. Of course, that means it is
33 longer. LOL
34
35 I also wish the forum subject lines could be longer and have a special
36 spot for "solved" as well. That is their problem tho.
37
38 Dale
39
41 --