From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel build - back in the soup.
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:27:04
1 091103 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > building a new kernel has always been a problem for me.
3 > Many people here seem to find it completely easy... not me.
4
5 I find it doable with a bit of care (smile).
6
7 > After install of gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r4
8 > I started with `make oldconfig'
9 > Moved from that to `make menuconfig'
10
11 I just installed the same kernel with no problems.
12 I did 'make oldconfig', looking at the '?' help for each new item
13 & deciding whether to say Y/N as seemed appropriate.
14 There wasn't anything dramatically new,
15 so I went straight on to 'gvimdiff .config .config-<previous_kernel>',
16 which allows a careful review of all the differences.
17 There seemed to be nothing outstanding, so I went ahead with 'make',
18 copied it by hand into /boot & updated Lilo;
19 there was a problem, which I reported here, re Nvidia-drivers,
20 but I moved up to a new version & then everything worked as expected.
21 I never compile kernel items as modules if it cb avoided:
22 it's one source of potential pain one can avoid.
26 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
27 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
28 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca