From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] FTP Server
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:21:32
1 > Does anyone have any suggestions/preferences to a secure FTP server
2 for
3 > Gentoo?
4 >
5 > My 55+ year old father-in-law wants to start learning building
6 websites.
7 > I am having him install Nvu and want to setup ftp to my web server
8 and
9 > give him his own directory to play with.
10 >
11 > I have never had a need for ftp since I have always used ssh.
12 However,
13 > I want to make it as easy as possible for him to learn web page
14 design,
15 > so that is why I thought ftp would be the easiest and most supported
16 by
17 > tools. He uses winXP and I think Nvu can publish to ftp. If he
18 really
19 > gets into building websites, he wants to purchase something like
20 > dreamweaver.
21 >
22 > From my perspective, I don't want an ftp server that will allow
23 someone
24 > to get in to my gentoo box by brute forcing a username and password.
25 I
26 > guess I can install something like denyhosts if the ftp server uses
27 tcp
28 > wrappers.
29 >
30 > Thanks for any guidance,
31 >
32 > Jim
33
34 [Timothy A. Holmes]
35
36 Take a look at sftp - its part of ssh - I don't know if nvu supports it
37 or not but I know dreamweaver does
40 Timothy A. Holmes
41 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
42
43 Medina Christian Academy
44 A Higher Standard...
45