From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [HEADS UP] New kernel version 3.0 breaks build of latest python updates
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:03:38
1 On Saturday 23 July 2011 16:32:39 Dale did opine thusly:
2 > walt wrote:
3 > > This will affect (I think) only ~arch users.
4 > >
5 > > If you are running the new linux kernel version 3.0, you will
6 > > find that today's update of python will fail with the error
7 > > "plat-linux2 not found".
8 > >
9 > > That's because the python configure scripts will detect the
10 > > version 3 kernel and will try to use "plat-linux3" instead of
11 > > "plat-linux2".
12 > >
13 > > To finish today's update of python2 and python3, just boot
14 > > with any kernel-2.6.x and repeat the python update.
15 >
16 > Did you by chance file a roach report? If so, number or link
17 > please.
18 >
19 > Sounds like 2.6.40 may have been a better idea. lol
20
21 Dear god, no!
22
23 May I point your attention over to portage so you can see for yourself
24 how silly that can get? 100 _rc versions and currently at 46 _alphas.
25 It's starting to look like svn commit numbers would be a better number
26 scheme :-)
27
28 Maintainers everywhere will simply have to update their install
29 scripts (the usual point of failure for something like this) and it
30 will be mostly fixed everywhere in about a fortnight.
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com