From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Peer review of ntp.conf file
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:23:16
1 Good evening,
2
3 After having some recent issues with ntpd (which I'm not certain are
4 resolved), I decided to take a close look at my /etc/ntp.conf file.
5
6 Below are the _only_ lines in /etc/ntp.conf that are not commented out.
7
8 restrict 127.0.0.1 nomodify
9 driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
10 logfile /var/log/ntp.log
11 server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
12 server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
13 server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
14
15 Researching this subject leads me to believe this is one of the more
16 difficult subjects to get a good grasp of what is actually taking place
17 behind the scenes. There appears to be a _lot_ of variables involved
18 that _could_ have a major impact on operations.
19
20 This workstation in the only linux box on this network, and I would like
21 to be able to serve time to 5 XP boxes if possible. What I'm asking for
22 here is 2 things:
23
24 1:) Additions and/or changes to ntp.conf, along with the rationale for
25 them.
26 2:) A good laymans explanation (or link to) proper ntp configuration and
27 usage.
28
29 Thanks,
30 festus
31 --
32 It is not unusual for those at the wrong end of the club to have a
33 clearer picture of reality than those who wield it.
34 Noam Chomsky