From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: installing ffi gem
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 18:01:50
1 On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:12:51 -0700, kashani wrote:
2
3 > On 4/21/2011 9:54 PM, Hans de Graaff wrote:
4
5 >> Please note that Gentoo also supports multiple ruby implementations out
6 >> of the box (ruby 1.8, ruby enterprise edition, jruby currently stable,
7 >> ruby 1.9 unfortunately still masked, rubinius forthcoming).
8 >
9 > It's not about which ruby you're installing on the system, really
10 > anything other than 1.8.7 as system Ruby is a pain in the ass at this
11 > point.
12
13 This is not about the system ruby, I agree that ruby 1.8.7 is currently
14 the only sane choice for that.
15
16 > Using RVM I can have all version and implementations of Ruby and
17 > multiple gem sets per Ruby as well. That way I can work on
18 > ruby-1.8.7@rail2 app or switch to ruby-1.92@rails3 which keep the gems
19 > separate. Also I avoid breaking the system when doing wacky things in my
20 > dev environment.
21
22 The Gentoo setup can do this too. It install gems for all supported,
23 desired, ruby implementations, and keeps separate gem hierarchies for
24 each ruby implementation, so you can use different ruby implementations
25 for different applications if you want.
26
27 This is all part of the ruby-ng.eclass, which all packages in testing
28 use, and which is currently being pushed into stable.
29
30 Kind regards,
31
32 Hans