From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} dvdrip permissions error, alternative?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:48:11
1 On Thursday 05 October 2006 17:57, Grant wrote:
2 > When I click on "RIP Title" in dvdrip, I get a permission denied error
3 > regarding Project.pm.  All of the other options in the other tabs are
4 > grayed out and unmodifiable.  If I try to run the program as root, it
5 > says it cannot open the display.  Does anyone know what's wrong here?
6 > I've tried amd64 and ~amd64 versions.
7
8 What's the error?
9 I've run dvdrip for a long time and don't get any errors.
10
11 > I'm trying to make backups of my DVDs that are smaller than the full
12 > 8GB but don't lose any noticeable audio or video quality.  I'd be
13 > happy to just select the audio and video track I want and rip them
14 > without any transcoding.  Would anyone recommend a program other than
15 > dvdrip for this?  I would use mplayer's mencode, but mplayer can't
16 > play my "The Life of Mammals" DVD so I don't think mencode will work.
17 > I believe that DVD is copy protected.
18
19 dvd9to5. If you don't put a blank dvd into the drive it'll leave a DVD image
20 under 4.7GB.
21
22 I do my DVDs with both dvd9to5 and dvdrip (at 192Kbps MP3 audio, 1500Kbps
23 video) and the quality is all but perfect (1800Kbps video should easily clear
24 up the very very small lose).
27 Mike Williams
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list