From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I/net server throttling
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 00:28:32
1 120701 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > It could be a connection duration limit.
3 > Either the web server or an intermediate proxy server
4 > may place a limit on how long a connection may be open.
5 > If you have a low-bandwidth pipe, you'd be more vulnerable
6 > to hitting that limit than someone with a high-bandwidth pipe.
7 > Possible sources off the top of my head:
8 > PHP scripts' script time limits, squid connection time limits.
9
10 Yes, the limit is one of time, not of number of bytes transmitted.
11 My earlier connection stayed open for 32 s & got 819 K ;
12 one of the other repliers -- thanks to all -- got 38 s & the whole file.
13
14 So 2 conclusions for me : (1) yes, servers do impose time-slices ;
15 (2) my basic problem remains the very low bandwidth I'm getting,
16 which I have to take up with my ISP once I've clarified other aspects.
20 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
21 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
22 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca