From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 17:53:44
1 On Saturday, 16 July 2022 18:17:35 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 3:57 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
4 > > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > <SNIP>
7 > >
8 > > > Also, the package I'm getting is 500Mbs/sec. What speeds should I
9 > > > really expect? If memory serves me right, that is about 50MBs/sec, note
10 > > > the size of the B. By the way, that is about 50 times faster than what
11 > > > I have now. Also, up and down is the same. Current up stream is a lot
12 > > > smaller. Basically, I can upload files as fast as I download them. Now
13 > > > I can upload videos or something.
14 > >
15 > > You will almost certainly get your 500Mb pretty much right away - or
16 > > within a day or two. I get 475Mb on my comcast cable connection
17 > > but it's rate limited at the other end. They sell and upgrade which
18 > > I don't need. At these speeds it's more about bytes/month than
19 > > bytes/second so make sure you know how much data you can move
20 > > without incurring any extra charges.
21 > >
22 > > As for upload I'm limited at about 13Mb/S. I can upload lots of
23 > > data to a Google drive for backups but I have to do it slowly
24 > >
25 > > - Mark
26 >
27 > If I understand this correctly, they are stating bits but most data
28 > speeds are commonly in bytes. I read once where one should divide by 8
29 > or 9 to get the true speed in common use. Internet folks use the larger
30 > number because it makes it look bigger. If I'm correct, and allowing a
31 > little for overhead, I'll see about 50MBs/sec in common use terms. In
32 > other words, using none salesman terms.
33
34 1 byte = 8 bits
35
36 https://www.gbmb.org/mbps-to-mbs
39 > From what they state, there is no limits. I may be a bit of a heavy
40 > user at first but at some point, hard drive space will slow me down.
41 > I'm a collector of videos and other documents. If I download it, I tend
42 > to keep it unless it is really of no use. I've got videos on appliance
43 > repairs, tractor, tree management and just interesting stuff that I
44 > refer back to. It's a lot. Organizing it is also fun.
45 >
46 > I'm hoping to get it pretty soon. It's getting really close to me.
47 >
48 > Dale
49 >
50 > :-) :-)
51
52 Regarding VPNs and SOCKS proxy servers, a VPN works at layer 2 or 3 of the OSI
53 model while a SOCKS proxy uses layer 5.
54
55 Simply, with VPN you tunnel all your connections to the Interwebs via a remote
56 VPN server which acts as a router (full tunnel mode); or you tunnel some
57 connections via the remote tunnel and some via your local ISP as usual (split
58 tunnel).
59
60 With a SOCKS proxy you need to use an application which has a SOCKS client
61 capability, or you can 'socksify' it with a separate piece of software, e.g.
62 privoxy.
63
64 As has already been commented, unless you control both ends of a VPN tunnel,
65 you should not assume privacy or anonymity despite marketing claims.