From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] NFSv4: 32-bit server versus 64-bit client?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 21:55:11
1 I'm trying to be a good gentoo netizen by nfs-sharing /usr/portage between
2 my three local gentoo machines, and failing :(
3
4 After weeks of fiddling, I discovered today that my problems come from
5 using a 32-bit machine to serve my two 64-bit NFS clients(!)
6
7 (I'll mention up front that NFSv3 works perfectly -- only NFSv4 is bad.)
8
9 For reasons I don't know, the 64-bit client machines mount the 32-bit
10 NFSv4 share with UID/GID 0xffffffe, which won't let even root write to
11 the rw share.
12
13 I googled an old thread mentioning that 0xffff is decimal 65534, a UID
14 traditionally assigned to the user 'nobody'.
15
16 Can anyone else reproduce my problem, or give a hint how to work around
17 it?
18
19 (This list is so quiet today I'm wondering if gmane.org is down.)