From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo system suddenly failed to boot.
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 23:10:18
1 On Wednesday, 17 February 2021 21:45:35 GMT gevisz wrote:
2
3 > Most probably, both my SATA disks have connection problems as
4 > Oli Schmidt suggested from the very beginning, and because they
5 > both have it, it points to the motherboard that already had quite
6 > a bad track record.
7 >
8 > Unfortunately, I cannot diagnose it further, but later will try
9 > to experiment with attaching my SATA drives again.
10
11 It may be worth mentioning I've experience similar problems with an old MoBo,
12 different to yours. Eventually I narrowed it down to a loose SATA connector
13 on the MoBo. It would either fail completely to boot, or it would boot but
14 the disk would make a clicking noise. I initially suspected a dying disk, but
15 after I reseated the cable on the MoBo the problem went away, for a while,
16 until I reseated it once more. :-)
17
18 The ATA disk would boot normally (IDE controller).
19
20 Anyway, just make sure you have enable AHCI instead of IDE type controller on
21 your BIOS menu for the SATA disk and have configured the Gentoo kernel
22 appropriately to include AHCI.