From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A tiny titillating taste of grub2
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 12:24:43
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 01:36 on Sunday 09 January 2011, walt did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > About three years ago I spent a lot of time on the grub2 mailing list,
5 > building grub2 from their svn repo, even submitting a patch or two to
6 > get it working for the *BSD family.
7 >
8 > Then I got old and tired and I settled on gentoo. I deleted all the
9 > other OS's from my machines, including (especially) Windows -- so I no
10 > longer need to multiboot five different OS's -- and so I lost interest
11 > in the sexy new features of grub2.
12 >
13 > Lately, though, I've been using multiple USB sticks, and having them
14 > plugged in at boot-time can confuse legacy grub into booting from the
15 > wrong disk, i.e. not booting at all. Very annoying.
16 >
17 > So, I installed grub-1.98 and I've found that it *does* find partitions
18 > by UUID, and even by LABEL, amongst multiple disks. Very nifty.
19 >
20 > Not so fast, though. I don't know how to write a grub.conf file that
21 > can tell grub2 how to do that automatically so I don't need to type
22 > commands at the interactive grub2 command prompt.
23 >
24 > That's where you testosterone-pumped youngsters (Dale? Volker? Alan?
25 > Neil? Anyone?) can help fix this basically silly problem.
26
27 Might be worth learning how this new-fangled boot loader works.
28
29 Right now I'm having Hercules' own fight trying to get Android Donut[1] and
30 Froyo triple-booting on an Ubuntu 10.10 netbook. Ubuntu uses grub2 these days
31 and I think I want to keep that (makes updates easier that way - the Android
32 stuff is a manual update anyway).
33
34 Let's keep the thread open and add stuff as we find it.
35
36 [1] Yes, Android now runs on x86 :-) http://www.android-x86.org
37
38 [2] I'llet "testosterone-pumped" passed (I'm the BOFH at work) but I dunno
39 about "youngsters", this here fellow has grey in his beard. Actually he has a
40 grey beard with a few bits of brown in it :-)
44 > grub2 is enough different from legacy grub to make the learning curve
45 > very steep -- but I'm only about half-way up the curve and I'm fading
46 > fast. (I usually unplug the offending USB stick and reboot :)
47 >
48 > If anyone here is interested enough to spend some real time and effort
49 > on grub2, I can offer a few pointers, but I'm not willing to do the real
50 > grunt work myself.
51 >
52 > Hm, sunset. Off to bed :)
55 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com