From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] my xorg-server 1.6 seems a bit unstable - what am I doing wrong?
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:29:44
1 On Freitag 09 Oktober 2009, Denis wrote:
2 > >> Section "Device"
3 > >> Identifier "Card0"
4 > >> Driver "nvidia"
5 > >> VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
6 > >> BoardName "GeForce 7300 LE"
7 > >> BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
8 > >> Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
9 >
10 > ==== why? =====
11 >
12 > >> # Option "DPI" "100 x 100"
13 > >> EndSection
14 >
15 > Sorry - what was that "why?" referring to? I think I put those
16 > options in when I was working on anti-aliasing the fonts to make them
17 > look smooth. That still works.
18 >
19 > > 1.6.3.901
20 > > is - lets just say you should either use 1.6.3 or 1.6.4
21 > > and what about your driver version?
22 > > and why 2.6.27? that kernel is acient!
23 >
24 > Well, I used 1.6.3.901-r2 because that's what the portage pulled in
25 > when I did emerge -NDavu world. Portage tree seems to have options to
26 > use 1.6.4, but it was not pulled in by emerge, so maybe it is masked
27 > or keyworded?
28 >
29 > The kernel... Well, I am guilty of not keeping up on kernel updates
30 > because restarting the machine for each upgrade isn't always an option
31 > with my work. Do you think this version of the kernel may contribute
32 > to X instability?
35 i am saying that you should try the latest kernel with the latest driver for
36 your card