From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Argh: No KMail after KDEPIM upgrade
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 03:04:38
1 I did not intend to send this mail yet, but I accidentally did. It
2 happened when kwin started doing weird things again, like transparent
3 window titles, window content being all black or grey and such. Happens
4 after a few days of KDE4 sesstion uptime, the kwin proecess has grown to
5 some hundred megs (the record was 1.3G) then.
6
7 I wanted to close the running applications before logging out, which
8 somehow worked for the composing window of this mail, although it was
9 meant to end in the drafts folder, not here.
10 There was also a konqueror window which had some open tabs with threads
11 about this KDEPIM problem, forutunately I was able to save them, despite
12 the bookmark menu being all grey.
13
14 For the moment, I have disabled kmail in kontact, and grouped the
15 kontact window with a thunderbird window. Now the next problem is that
16 thunderbird does not check my IMAP folders for new mail, only the one I
17 am currently in. Do I fix this problem? Or better invest the time in
18 fixing this KDEPIM problem? Try another mail client?
19
20 None of those. Instead I install Linux Mint [*] on my Mom's notebook.
21
22 Again.
23
24 Because I just killed the existing installation. After some tweaking it
25 worked fine, so I thought it was time for a backup of /boot and ~/.*
26 files on a backup partition, which I had to create first.
27
28 Before:
29 /dev/sda7 10G /root
30 /dev/sda8 10G /home
31 free space 28G
32
33 After:
34 /dev/sda7 10G /root
35 /dev/sda8 20G /home
36 /dev/sda9 8G /backup
37
38 resize2fs /dev/sda8 said the partition was at maximum size already, so I
39 rebooted. And no longer had a /home. Shouldn't this have been safe?
40
41 I removed /home from fstab so the boot process would not stop again. But
42 now X does not come up. And the console stays black. Somehow, eth0 is
43 down, but wlan0 is connected, I can log in via ssh in order to activate
44 the Grub menu, so I could remove the quiet option. Mint / Ubuntu does
45 not show a Grub menu, booting starts without delay. In Mint, even
46 pressing the escape key does not show the boot process, not sure how
47 this was in Ubunbtu. There is no fancy splash image either in Mint, so
48 the might be something wrong here. I wanted to activate the menu,
49 realized that Grub2 does things SO DIFFERENT from the Grub I know, but
50 then found /etc/default/grub, with lines like GRUB_HIDDEN_MENU=true or
51 something like that, and a comment said the update-grub command would
52 take care of this. I ran it, rebooted, and now I still see no menu.
53 Good: the boot messages are visible. Bad: they are totally distorted and
54 not readable, I think this is the new kernel or initrd I got installed
55 with update-grub. Had this before with Ubuntu when I allowed it to
56 install closed-source video drivers.
57
58 So I just did a fresh install, now I will configure what I already had
59 configured before. Then comes KDEPIM maybe, after some sleep.
60
61 Wonko
62
63 [*] No, not Gentoo. I want a quick setup, no long compiles to keep it up
64 to date, and I hoped for some additional distro magic that would
65 automatically detect my WLAN & stuff.