From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HP scanner is no longer found
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 09:09:40
1 On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 03:56:31 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > A kernel bug was my first thought, or a missing option after an
4 > > upgrade. To eliminate software issues, I'd try booting from something
5 > > like an Ubuntu or Mint live CD, if it still doesn't work it looks
6 > > like a hardware problem.
7 > >
8 > > Do you have access to another computer you can try it in?
9
10 > What about sysrescue USB stick? Just plug the scanner in and and see if
11 > it shows up on the lsusb list? That should work even if I can't scan
12 > right?
13
14 You could try that. I suggested a different distro because it is
15 different and less likely to have the same software fault (if that is the
16 cause)
17 >
18 > I have a old backup computer but it is like three years out of date and
19 > it was never set up to have a scanner attached. I'm thinking it would
20 > be fairly useless without a serious update which would not be fun.
21 >
22 > I have a thought. I could take it to my brothers and see if it shows up
23 > there. He runs Kubuntu but if lsusb lists it, it is a start. Right?
24
25 Yes, but Kubuntu probably has sane installed anyway so it should be able
26 to do more than list it.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?