From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] net-wireless/blueman-2.1_alpha2 blocked by net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth - is it necessary?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 14:08:25
1 On R, 2017-12-08 at 19:39 +0700, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote:
2 > >
3 > > Is it really necessary to block one package when another installed?
4 >
5 > Most of the time, the reason to make packages to block each other is
6 > collisions (if they they contain files (like binaries or libraries)
7 > with same
8 > install paths).
9 >
10 > Although, I can't guarantee that it was the case here.
11
12 There was a blocker in blueman against gnome-bluetooth due to a file
13 collision with gnome-bluetooth. This was removed with 2.0-r1, back in
14 Oct 2015, as blueman upstream solved it.
15 To me it looks like the change didn't make it to the live ebuild and
16 then eventually sometime after 2.0.3 a bump was made via copying from
17 9999, not the latest version, thus reinstating the blocker, possibly by
18 accident. Or maybe on purpose, but I don't see an explanation for it in
19 logs.
20 Try to remove the blocker in blueman, see if files collide or not, and
21 if not file a bug against blueman, possibly with info that it might
22 have been accidental reintroduction due to..., etc.
23
24 > I've noticed that Gnome Team makes some decisions, that doesn't looks
25 > logical
26 > for a few times already.
27
28 Something not looking logical for you doesn't mean there isn't sound
29 logic. In this case, it's not us who have a blocker possibly wrongly
30 reintroduced here.
33 Best,
34 Mart Raudsepp
35 Gentoo GNOME team lead