From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mount: "special device /dev/hdc does not exist". What does this mean?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:11:35
1 Alan Mackenzie schrieb:
2 > Hi, Gentoo?
3 >
4 > I've a newly installed system, now working with my own special
5 > optimiesed keyboard layout. :-)
6 >
7 > However, I can't access my DVD drives. I know at least one of them
8 > works, because I installed Gentoo from it.
9 >
10 > When I do
11 >
12 > mount -tiso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
13 >
14 > , it comes back with "special device /dev/hdc does not exist". And yes,
15 > there was a CD in the drive, and /cdrom exists.
16
17 Do you mean
18
19 mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
20
21 > What does "special device" mean here? Does it mean the physcial
22 > hardware, the controller chip, the directory entry /dev/hdc, the driver
23 > in the kernel, or what? What is "special" about my DVD writer?
24
25 It means the directory entry /dev/hdc.
26
27 > Well, to answer some of my questions, I was missing a /dev/hdc, so I
28 > made one with
29 >
30 > # mknod /dev/hdc b 22 0
31 >
32 > . This didn't help one iota. I had a look at dmesg, but there was no
33 > mention of hdc in it. (It did mention hdg, hdh, where my main hard
34 > drives are (don't ask!)).
35
36 Can't resist what is on hd{a-f}
37
38 > My kernel is an up to date linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r6. I _think_ it's got
39 > all the needed options set in the configuration. Can anybody suggest
40 > how to get my system to recognise my DVD drives?
41 >
42 > Thanks in advance!
45 What kind of DVD writer do you have maybe it is sata or scsi, and it
46 wiil appear under /dev/srX or /dev/sgX. Or if you use the new libata
47 library in the kernel even IDE devices are under /dev/srX or /dev/sgX.
48 --
49 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list