From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] GUI programming for Linux (and Windows possibly)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:11:11
1 On 06/28/2009 10:16 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM, pk<peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
3
4 >> Why Windows? I'm merely curious, not trying to criticize...
5
6 > No offense taken. All the trading is done on the Windows platform
7 > using proprietary trading platform apps. All the datafiles are
8 > therefore sitting in Windows and it just seems easier...
9
10 So true, and that's exactly where M$ wants us. I need to use a
11 couple of M$-specific apps for the same reason, and much to my
12 joy they both run very well on recent versions of wine.
13
14 I first tried wine years ago when it was running only 16-bit
15 windows apps and I gave it up as nothing more than a toy -- but
16 things have *really* changed since then!
17
18 Wine is a toy no longer, it's a powerful tool and I'd urge you
19 to play with it at for a week or two to see what it can do.
20
21 They have an apps database that lists popular windows programs
22 that are known to run under wine (or not) and what you need to do
23 to get them working.
24
25 http://appdb.winehq.org/
26
27 I don't see Trade Station listed there but you could be the first
28 one to get it working :-)