From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem understanding "eix"
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 15:26:47
1 Martin,
2
3 On Thursday, 2020-04-30 17:20:08 -0000, you wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > > >=app-crypt/tpm2-tss-2.2.3-r1 ~amd64
7 >
8 > Ah! That explains it.
9 >
10 > > But this only means that I accept an unstable package here, not that
11 > > these versions are regarded stable.
12 >
13 > It is stabe according to the local configuration on your system.
14
15 I STRONGLY beg to disagree! The "~amd64" notation is used to ACCEPT a
16 package even though it is (still) classified as UNSTABLE. And yes, the
17 "{isunstable}" property does in fact still return "True". Phrases like
18 the one above only try to conver-up sloppy programming, sloppy document-
19 ation, or both. If "{!isstable}" isn't equivalent to "{isunstable}",
20 there's a severe logical problem involved.
21
22 > What you look for is perhaps {wasstable} which returns the value
23 > according to the default configuration.
24
25 That property is indeed mentioned in "man eix" but never explained, like
26 plenty of other properties, too. Besides, in my book "was stable" sort
27 of means "is no longer stable", but again, that's most probaly not what
28 "{wasstable}" means in Eix-speak.
29
30 But apart from that: you helped me solve my problem, and I thank you for
31 that :-)
32
33 Sincerely,
34 Rainer