From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Netvanta router will not read Gentoo MAC address
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:38:10
1 Hi All,
2
3 I have connected to a Netvanta router (seems to me like Cisco clone in terms
4 of ruleset and OS) but it will not read my MAC address. As a result I cannot
5 set static IP addresses for my Gentoo boxen on this LAN. The router offers
6 the next available IP address, instead of the one that I have reserved (on
7 the router). The MS Windows machines seem to work fine.
8
9 In trying to figure out what's happening I noticed that the Linux machines are
10 registered on the router not with their MAC address (which is broadcast by
11 dhcpcd as DHCPCHADDR) but with their CLIENTID, which is a much larger number:
12 ===========================================
13 # dhcpcd eth0 -T
14 IPADDR='10.10.10.30'
15 NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
16 BROADCAST='10.10.10.255'
17 ROUTES=''
18 GATEWAYS='10.10.10.1'
19 DNSSERVERS='10.10.10.1'
20 NTPSERVERS='10.10.10.1'
21 DHCPSID='10.10.10.1'
22 LEASETIME='86400'
23 RENEWALTIME='0'
24 REBINDTIME='0'
25 INTERFACE='eth0'
26 CLASSID='dhcpcd 3.1.5'
27 CLIENTID='ff:42:53:72:03:06:01:00:01:0e:95:9f:d7:01:c2:b8:d1:f1:1f'
28 DHCPCHADDR='01:c2:b8:d1:f1:1f'
29 ===========================================
30
31 The router compares the CLIENTID with the MAC address I have entered manually
32 and it does not recognise the box as the one intended. I tried to specify a
33 MAC address in /etc/conf.d/net.eth0 but it makes no difference. Any idea why
34 MS Windows machines work fine and Linux do not?
35
36 What can I change to get this going?
37 --
38 Regards,