From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounting /dev from udev ... [oops]
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 08:51:09
1 On Saturday 07 April 2007 23:07, Dale wrote:
2 > maxim wexler wrote:
3 > > Also, upgrades are difficult here in the boonies.
4 > > Modem speed is approx 28k.
5 >
6 > Same speed here. :-( I feel your pain. Two things if you have a newer
7 > box somewhere, http-replicator and rsync. I have three boxes and use
8 > that to share the source tarballs and sync from.
9 >
10 > Poor us. We both need DSL.
11
12 Maxim, things have move on in many basic ways - one of which is that devices
13 are automounted these days using udevd. If your system is not up to date
14 across the piece, some software will no doubt will complain with whatever is
15 left behind. The fact that you are running a slim install means that you
16 lasted this long on e.g. a really old kernel.
17
18 Since dial up is inadequate to readily keep up to date and if you have more
19 than one machine seriously painful, you may also want to consider boa for
20 sharing your distfiles across your LAN:
21
22 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/162733
23
24 HTH.