From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to be a penguin.
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 16:04:47
1 1. Fuck shit up royally.
2 2. Waddle around squawking about how everything works perfectly for you
3 and that it's the user's fault.
6 It's getting to the point that I can't remember a time when running
7 emerge has not been a week-long ordeal.
10 I feel that my jackhammer script has been deliberately defeated. Instead
11 of permitting the user, in the ancient tradition, hit the thing until it
12 works, emerge honors every package with an excessively specific version
13 dependency specifier (all set to different versions, of course.)
14
15 Of course, if a version of a package is required by hundreds of
16 packages, it is therefore masked instead of the version that all
17 packages will probably work just fine with but have e-builds that
18 prevent them from actually working out of pure spite towards the user. =\
21 It took me two days to gut my package base enough to get emerge to do
22 anything, which means I'm getting more skillful at this...
23
24 One of my mistakes was uninstalling findutils, which I had to manually
25 patch.. I never mastered using find because it always takes much less
26 time to do it with a gui file manager, than to look up the garbled
27 syntax that stupid utility requires...
28
29 Anyway, I have several dozen packages failing due to file collisions
30 around:
33 >>> Failed to install net-libs/gnutls-3.4.12, Log file:
34
35 >>> '/var/tmp/portage/net-libs/gnutls-3.4.12/temp/build.log'
36
37 * Messages for package net-libs/gnutls-3.4.12:
38
39 * This package will overwrite one or more files that may belong to other
40 * packages (see list below). You can use a command such as `portageq
41 * owners / <filename>` to identify the installed package that owns a
42 * file. If portageq reports that only one package owns a file then do
43 * NOT file a bug report. A bug report is only useful if it identifies at
44 * least two or more packages that are known to install the same file(s).
45 * If a collision occurs and you can not explain where the file came from
46 * then you should simply ignore the collision since there is not enough
47 * information to determine if a real problem exists. Please do NOT file
48 * a bug report at http://bugs.gentoo.org unless you report exactly which
49 * two packages install the same file(s). See
50 * http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Blockers for tips on how to
51 * solve the problem. And once again, please do NOT file a bug report
52 * unless you have completely understood the above message.
53 *
54 * Detected file collision(s):
55 *
56 * /usr/share/doc.ecompress.dir
57 * /usr/share/man.ecompress.dir
58 *
59 * Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
60 *
61 * Press Ctrl-C to Stop
62 *
63 * media-libs/libpng-1.6.22:0::gentoo
64 * /usr/share/doc.ecompress.dir
65 * /usr/share/man.ecompress.dir
66 *
67 * sys-libs/gdbm-1.12:0::gentoo
68 * /usr/share/doc.ecompress.dir
69 * /usr/share/man.ecompress.dir
70 *
71 * Package 'net-libs/gnutls-3.4.12' NOT merged due to file collisions. If
72 * necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole content of the
73 * above message.
74
75 * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
76 Scanning Configuration files...
77 Exiting: Nothing left to do; exiting. :)
78 tortoise ~ #
79
80 mostly......
83 So I need a new translation of "FUCK YOU" that will cause emerge to
84 actually install the packages instead of using this as an excuse to
85 waste my time. I did google this but it was only reporting threads from
86 2008, and I'm sure the syntax and best practices have changed...
89 IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.
90
91 Powers are not rights.