From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo alternatives
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 09:09:13
1 On 6/7/21 10:10 AM, n952162 wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm looking for a gentoo alternative and am surprised to see that
4 > google chrome os is based on gentoo.
5 >
6 > Does anybody have any experience with this?
7 >
8 > Do they support multi-media and basic modern desktop capabilities?  I
9 > see that there's some concentration on a special browser, but I'd be
10 > running Firefox and FVWM anyway.
11 >
12 > Do they use /portage/ and source packages?
13 >
14 > Do they push down every single upstream modification, like gentoo
15 > does, or maybe have a bit of hysteresis?
16 >
17 > I updated on May first and built firefox 78.10.*0*.  2+ days of
18 > building.  I updated on June first and built firefox 78.10.*1*. and
19 > spent 2+ days building.  I updated today because of the same old slot
20 > collision problems I've run into over a year
21 >
22 > dev-python/setuptools:0
23 > dev-python/setuptools_scm:0
24 > dev-python/toml:0
25 > dev-python/certifi:0
26 > dev-python/jinja:0
27 > dev-python/markupsafe:0
28 >
29 > and now, on the 7th, I'm building firefox 78.11.   I just don't have
30 > the time for this.  It impacts my machines too much.
31 >
32 > Yes, I know, there are binary versions, but if I wanted to use binary,
33 > I wouldn't use gentoo.  And anyway, there's always rust and gcc and ...
37 Okay, I guess I got it, at least for the worst offenders, firefox and
38 thunderbird: not have them in my world file and every quarter update
39 them manually.  Would that work?