From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI is teh SNAFU!
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:05:31
1 On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I had to reboot my system again due to video driver update.
3 >
4 > I had set up a new build of my kernel in a UEFI partition. The
5 > BIOS/firmware seemed to be happy with the location.
6 >
7 > The machine stops stone cold dead the instant the firmware tries to
8 > transfer control to the new kernel.
9 >
10 > I found a switch in the debugging menu which enables the EFI console
11 > output. Why does this option exist? I mean why is it possible to compile
12 > a kernel that doesn't use every possible method to communicate with the
13 > user?
14 >
15 > Well, anyway, even with this selected, it still stops stone cold dead
16 > without producing any output at all. I could turn on some more debugging
17 > options, but they seem more hardcore than what I'm trying to do...
18 > (simply boot!!!!!)
19
20 Do you really need to start a new thread about your problems every
21 day? It's getting quite excessive.