From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] broken seamonkey :(
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 14:30:29
1 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Saturday, September 05, 2015 6:09:36 PM Mick wrote:
4 >> On Saturday 05 Sep 2015 14:06:27 lee wrote:
5 >> > Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> writes:
6 >> > > On Saturday, September 05, 2015 1:05:06 AM lee wrote:
7 >> > >> In this case, I happen to have full physical access to the server and
8 >> > >> thus to the certificate stored on it. This is not the case for, let's
9 >> > >> say, an employee checking his work-email from home whom I might give
10 > the
11 >> > >> login-data on the phone and instruct to add an exception when the
12 > dialog
13 >> > >> to do so pops up when they are trying to connect.
14 >> > >
15 >> > > As a workaround you can create your own CA cert. I tested with a windows
16 >> > > self- signed cert (I guess the correct term is self-issued) and the
17 >> > > openssl command will show two certs. The second is the CA.
18 >> > >
19 >> > > http://datacenteroverlords.com/2012/03/01/creating-your-own-ssl-certifica
20 >> > > te-authority/
21 >> >
22 >> > They're saying:
23 >> >
24 >> >
25 >> > "Whatever you see in the address field in your browser when you go to
26 >> > your device must be what you put under common name, even if it’s an IP
27 >> > address. [...] If it doesn’t match, even a properly signed certificate
28 >> > will not validate correctly and you’ll get the “cannot verify
29 >> > authenticity” error."
30 >> >
31 >> >
32 >> > What's the solution for a server which can be reached by different fqdns
33 >> > and IPs? What if the fqdns and IPs it can be reached by change over the
34 >> > lifetime of the certificates?
35 >>
36 > [...]
37 >
38 > Wildcards should do it. The browser will give you a warning but you don't
39 > care since all you want is encryption and your users already trust you.
40
41 True --- and the problem will be back again when seamonkey etc. decide
42 not to accept certificates with wildcards anymore.
43
44 > The only thing that matters about that article is that you'll be signing your
45 > certificate with the CA ones so you get two certificates when you run the
46 > openssl command, the last one is the CA certificate. If you, or your users add
47 > trust to that one, anything you sign with it will be trusted.
48 >
49 > I only tried it with a windows server issued certificate which does all that by
50 > default.
51
52 Changing the key would be a last resort.
53
54 If I do that, should I use a SHA-3 key? Would that work, or is SHA-3
55 too new?
56
57 > Since it lets you open the exception dialog but just hangs when downloading
58 > the certificate I wonder if it has something to do with your OCSP settings.
59 > Check that they match mine:
60 >
61 > security.OCSP.GET.enabled false
62 > security.OCSP.enabled 1
63 > security.OCSP.require false
64 >
65 > everything else is true.
66
67 I checked, and we have the same settings. It doesn't really hang, it
68 does nothing when I try to get the certificate. Does it do something
69 when you try?
73 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
74 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.