From: Bertram Scharpf <lists@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LDAP: Slapd fails asking itself while startup
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 04:41:52
1 Hi,
2
3 Am Freitag, 19. Okt 2007, 21:09:59 +0200 schrieb Bertram Scharpf:
4 > I just set up LDAP authentication and it works fine.
5 > However, when running the init script there comes up an
6 > error that clutters up my syslog with a lot of useless error
7 > messages.
8 >
9 > @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.38 (Oct 18 2007 22:12:26) $ root@myhost:/var/tmp/portage/net-nds/openldap-2.3.38/work/openldap-2.3.38/servers/slapd
10 > nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://127.0.0.1: Can't contact LDAP server
11 > nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://127.0.0.1/: Can't contact LDAP server
12 > nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fldapi_sock/: Can't contact LDAP server
13 > ...
14 > nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable
15 > WARNING: No dynamic config support for database ldbm.
16 > slapd starting
17 >
18 > I found out that the Gentoo init script activates the
19 > options "-u ldap -g ldap". Without them, the error messages
20 > do not appear. Therefore I suppose the slapd daemon tries to
21 > obtain passwd/shadow information for ldap via nss_ldap. At
22 > least when I say "compat" in nsswitch.conf, the error
23 > message doesn't appear as well.
24 >
25 > The thing I really wonder about is that the lines in
26 > nsswitch.conf say
27 >
28 > passwd: files ldap
29 > shadow: files ldap
30 > group: files ldap
31 >
32 > The files should be searched first. The "ldap" information
33 > is present in all three of them. I even tried to chown the
34 > shadow file to ldap but this didn't save me from
35 > encountering the weird messages either.
36
37 I detected I have a machine where this didn't happen. Then I
38 upgraded from glibc-2.5-r4 to glibc-2.6.1 ...
39
40 Could this be a real bug in glibc? Does anybody experience
41 the same behaviour?
42
43 Thanks in advance,
44