From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disabling net.ath0 backgrounding
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 19:51:37
1 On Wednesday 04 October 2006 11:38, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] Disabling net.ath0 backgrounding':
3 > How can I keep net.ath0 from "backgrounding" at boot?
4
5 This is ifplugd or netplug waiting until link is established before
6 configuring the device. They are also responsible for bring the device up
7 and down is response to link failure and reestablishment. Normally, this
8 is a desired behavior because it, for example, only brings up your
9 laptop's wired connection if it is actually plugged in and automatically
10 brings it down when you unplug.
11
12 If you want to disable one or the other for a particular device, you can
13 add !netplug or !ifplugd to the modules list of that interface
14 (see /etc/conf.d/net.example for details). You can also disable link
15 detection entirely by adding !plug to the modules list of that interface.
16
17 An alternative that may be closer to what you want, is to let
18 ifplugd/netplug wait for some period of time before backgrounding. This
19 still allows the interface to be started and stopped in response to link
20 status, but when explicitly started, it will perform configuration in the
21 foreground if link is detecting before timeout. To establish such a
22 timeout add:plug_timeout="<seconds>" to your network configuration
25 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
26 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
27 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
28 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh