From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo chroot with old glibc
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 14:48:07
1 Am Mittwoch, 1. Juli 2020, 03:30:59 CEST schrieb Thomas Mueller:
2 > > > That's what I did: I found a 2017 stage3 with a still older glibc and
3 > > > managed to upgrade to a 2020 gentoo while masking the last glibc
4 > > > versions. That was tricky because I had to git-checkout intermediate
5 > > > versions of the portage tree in order to deal with the EAPI changes but
6 > > > I have a working chroot now. Thanks.
7 > >
8 > > That's the easy way to do it, yes.
9 > >
10 > > The hard way is to treat this as a cross-compilation problem and bootstrap
11 > > your own stages from scratch. Instructions would be a bit longer...
12 > >
13 > > Andreas K. Hüttel
14 >
15 > I have looked through crossdev. Is that what it would take to cross-compile
16 > and bootstrap stages from scratch?
17 >
18 > Could that be done from (instead of an old glibc) musl, uClibc, or FreeBSD
19 > or NetBSD?
20
21 It could be done from anywhere to anywhere in principle.
22
23 (Like, building an old-glibc x86 stage on an arm64 machine...)
24
25 This is how I bootstrapped the first riscv stages. (Yes I know we need newer
26 ones...) But I don't claim it was a straightforward process. Took some time.
29 Andreas K. Hüttel
30 dilfridge@g.o
31 Gentoo Linux developer
32 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)