From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VI
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:51:13
1 On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Thomas Dickey wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 14:33:04 -0500 (EST) Thomas Dickey <dickey@×××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > | On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 > | > On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:34:08 +0100 Harald Arnesen
7 > | > <harald@×××××××.org> wrote:
8 > | > | There is no ebuild, but you can download and compile vi. It is at
9 > | > | <http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net>.
10 > | >
11 > | > No you can't. It's either broken or will become broken in the future
12 > | > with our "lack of termcap" setup, hence why the ebuilds were
13 > | > removed.
14 > |=20
15 > | ncurses provides a termcap interface, so these applications will
16 > | continue to work properly.
17 >
18 > We were getting segfaults with TERM=3Dlinux when using the ncurses
19 > termcap interface with ex-vi. IIRC, at the time no-one was sufficiently
20 > interested to try to track it down properly.
21
22 I don't recall seeing any comment that indicated that the bug report
23 was sent to Gunnar Ritter, only that no one had time to think about it,
24 and that no details could be recalled.
25
26 fwiw, the termcap internals of vim and screen are just as ugly as vi's -
27 and they're much larger - and I don't see any complaints about those
28 programs on this list.
29
30 p.s: the vile ebuild that you mentioned a few weeks ago has an obsolete
31 homepage. It helps to keep in contact with the upstream developers.
34 Thomas E. Dickey
35 http://invisible-island.net
36 ftp://invisible-island.net
37 --