From: masterprometheus <masterprometheus666@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU socket and picking a heat sink.
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 01:13:40
1 Dale wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Doing some research on building me a new rig. I have ran into sort
6 of a
7 > hick up. The socket types are confusing me here. This is the mobo
8 that
9 > I *might* be getting.
12 http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=&prod_no=1856
13 >
14 > If that link don't work, it is a MSI 790XT-G45 mobo.
15 >
16 > I do most of my shopping on newegg and was looking for a CPU heat
17 sink
18 > to go on that bad boy. The MSI website says AM2+. When I start to
19 > looking on newegg, there are several sockets that have AM2+ in it.
20 My
21 > question is, which is which or will any of them fit?
22 >
23 > The CPU I am looking at is a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb
24 > 3.0GHz and it says it is a AM2+ as well. I assume that will fit the
25 > mobo? ;-) It doesn't come with a cooler tho.
26 >
27 > I may end up picking something else for the mobo and CPU but I do
28 want
29 > to figure out what the differences are between these socket types and
30 > what fits what. Explanations are good and links are good too.
31 > Pictures may even be better. lol
32
33 Yes all HSF for AM2/AM2+/AM3 should work with your CPU. A good one
34 (price/performance) would be this one :
35 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082
36
37 But may I suggest that you buy another mobo. It's not that cheap and lack
38 some features :
39
40 1. It utilizes DDR2. I think you want this to get that OEM AMD CPU but
41 it's not worth in my opinion. DDR2 modules are generally more expensive
42 than DDR3 ones and will be more so in future.
43
44 2. No USB 3 ports. May not be that important but it's available already
45 in most motherboards.
46
47 3. No SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. No big deal in general but might become
48 important if you buy a high performance solid state disk.
49
50 4. No e-sata port.
51
52 A few options for you :
53 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157197 (no 6Gb/s
54 and only 1 USB 3 port but very inexpensive)
55
56 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131660 (no
57 6Gb/s, no e-sata, VIA audio codec, but 2 usb 3 ports)
58
59 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157192 (VIA
60 audio codec, only 1 USB 3 port, up to 2 firewire port, 1 e-sata 6Gb/s,
61 all the features, good price)
62
63 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130269
64 (everything right and better components, a little expensive of course)
65
66 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435 (great
67 layout, high quality components, lacks e-sata though, but lots of
68 expansion slots, expensive of course but a great one)
69
70 Good luck