From: "Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)" <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:12:42
1 On 2013-03-31, Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
2 > On 2013-03-31, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 30/03/13 17:15, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> Ok, just read the new news item and the linked udev-guide wiki page
5 >>
6 >> You should probably also read:
7 >>
8 >> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2013/03/predictably-non-persistent-names
9 >>
10 >> and:
13 >> http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2013/03/predictable-persistently-non-mnemonic-names
14 >
15 > The feeling that I got while reading the first was exactly what the
16 > second talks about.
17 >
18 > We - from what I understand - had scripts automatically generating the
19 > name rules from MAC addresses, it's just that they generated stuff like
20 > ethX.
21 >
22 > Can't we just keep these scripts around (even if this was something
23 > provided by upstream and we would have to forge a new incarnation)?
24 >
25 > I mean, IMHO, net0, wl0, ... are much easier to deal with and understand
26 > than something physically-based. They also avoid problems caused by
27 > moving these cards around, or changes in the kernel drivers or BIOS, or
28 > BIOS settings that eventually end up exposing cards in a different way.
29 >
30 > The problem with the old approach was *just* the name clash that
31 > rendered the hacky approach unreliable. Maybe we could just fix the
32 > issue by using non-clashing namespaces, instead of pushing a completely
33 > different (and possibly less reliable) naming scheme by default.
34
35 Ok, after some chat on IRC, it seems that upstream made it rather
36 non-trivial to have something like the old rule-generator, and that's
37 why we can't simply move that from, e.g., ethX to, say, netX.
40 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
41 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/