From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [half OT] WLAN totally beginners question
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 20:00:47
1 > On Dec 7, 2014, at 21:10, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I am just starting to do the first steps in configuring WLAN.
6 > The problem is: This topic seems to be rich of terms, which I
7 > dont know yet how to evaluate: AP, WAP, WEP, FSK...and dozens more.
8 >
9 > Since my use case is very limited I want to configure "just that"
10 > without being urged to achieve my master degree of WLANism after
11 > studying everything this topic consists of only to recognize that
12 > I only need to know about...say...2% of it.
13 >
14 > Background: I have two little Linux boards (Arietta G25) with
15 > a RT5370 Wireless Adapter each.
16 >
17 > I want to make both able to communicate with each other beside
18 > being able to use the ethernet-over-USB connection to enable
19 > the communication with/to my PC
20
21 Usually it's better to answer to question and not challenge the original goals of the poster.
22
23 Despite of that I want to ask why you need WiFi? Why not just route the traffic from one arietta to the other through the usb?
24
25 Arietta A eth0 -> usb -> pc -> usb -> Arietta B eth0
26
27 A lot easier setup. Nothing extra needed. Just route command on PC!?
30 -Matti