From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 05:19:19
1 Matt Connell wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2021-11-29 at 22:47 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >> Now if I can figure out how to reset the list of /dev/sd* names that
4 >> are lurking about and inconsistent, that would be like striking
5 >> gold.  Every time I hook up my external drive, it gets a different
6 >> sd* name.  It does the same on the SD cards from my trail cameras too
7 >> but I can auto mount those.
8 > I'd suggest using the UUIDs for the disks (acquired via the blkid
9 > command) and adding them to your /etc/fstab ... That's always been my
10 > solution to commonly-connected-but-never-permanently external disks.
11 >
12 > It won't ensure the same sd* name, but it will ensure that they get
13 > mounted consistently where you expect them to be.
19 Thanks to both for the idea.  My problem isn't mounting, it's decrypting
20 the drive.  I use cryptsetup and I have to give the sd* name for both my
21 external drives.  The way I do now, I type in the command to the sd
22 point and hit tab twice.  Once the drive gets spun up, I hit tab again.
23 Whichever one adds a 1 on the end is the one picked.  Thing is, it's
24 rarely the same one so I have to test to see which one it picks.  I wish
25 it would either reset itself or pick the same one each time.  I already
26 know to ignore sda, sdb, sdc, sdd and sde.
27
28 If it wasn't encrypted, it would be a good idea.  I sometimes wish there
29 was a GUI way to do it that allows me to set my own mount point.  There
30 are GUI crypt programs but they set their own mount points.  Plus, the
31 command line is fairly easy.  The password is the hard part.  Good luck
32 NSA.  ROFL
33
34 Dale
35