From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo for a virtual server in the cloud?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 19:22:12
1 On 2022-03-18 20:03+0100 n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > I rent a low-cost virtual server in the cloud.  The platform offers me
4 > some choices in linux distributions, but I'm wondering if I can
5 > compile gentoo to run on it.  Anybody have experience doing this?
6
7 If the platform offers you access to the VGA output via VNC or whatever
8 and lets you mount an ISO in a virtual DVD drive, it pretty much works
9 like any other Gentoo install.
10
11 Another option is to shrink your filesystem and partition, make a new
12 partition and install Gentoo from the old install.
13
14 You could also try to make Grub boot into an ISO in your /boot
15 partition. If you don't have access to the VGA output, you could try to
16 find a ISO that starts an SSH server automatically and lets you set the
17 password via the kernel cmdline.
18
19 Kind regards, tastytea