From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something went wrong with DNS, plz help!
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:03:31
1 On 26/07/2014 17:23, Grand Duet wrote:
2 > The first reboot after recent update of the system have
3 > shown that I cannot open any webpage in Firefox.
4 >
5 > More exactly, Firefox or my system cannot any more resolve
6 > URL to IP address (sorry if I use wrong terms).
7 >
8 > Thus,
9 > host gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
10 > gives:
11 > ;; connection timed out no servers could be reached
12 >
13 > Nevertheless
14 > dig @8.8.8.8 <http://8.8.8.8> gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
15 > reports the corresponding IP adresses.
16 >
17 > I have not changed any my network settings and my
18 > /etc/conf.d/net file still contains list of my DNS servers
19 > that contains server 8.8.8.8 as well but somehow it is
20 > not enough any more. :(
21 >
22 > During my last system update, I suddenly found that
23 > I had to update about 150 packages, what was a little
24 > bit strange as I update my system at least once a week.
25 >
26 > I have attributed that to the remnants of gnome2 (now I am using
27 > fxce4) that I have not cleaned completely and that is now going
28 > to update. So, I deviated a bit from my usual system update routine
29 > trying to fix that. Nevertheless, as to my view, during my system update
30 > I did nothing to distroy the DNS lookup.
31 >
32 > Luckily, I save my system update logs and now can attach
33 > the last one to this e-mail.
34 >
35 > Please, help me to recover my internet access,
36 > as I still have to do a lot of real work till Monday
37 > and have not enough time to investigate this problem
38 > alone and without a proper internet access. :(
42 what is the contents of /etc/resolve.conf?
49 Alan McKinnon
50 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com