From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GPRS connection through usb
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:07:27
1 > You do NOT need PPP, but you do need a fairly recent kernel (>= 2.6.27 at
2 > least, not sure of the details). You need at least CONFIG_USB_RNDIS_WLAN as
3 > m or y. With udev and 'm' things work mostly automatically on the linux
4 > side. On the phone you enable advanced networking (or else you will see the
5 > phone as ttyUSB? and you will need ppp). Then you plug in and run "dmesg -c"
6 > until things quiet down. You should see a new eth? interface. Enable
7 > internet sharing on the phone, and you should see in "dmesg -c" that your
8 > new ethernet interface disappears and reappears. If it does not reappear
9 > your kernel is too old. On my gentoo box i can now start the interface like
10 > a regular ethernet interface. I have a debian box with a kernel from
11 > unstable where dhcp fails on the phone 'ehternet' device, so I have to do
12 > "ip addr add" and "ip route add" manually to get the network going (somehow
13 > the ifup command on debian prints the assigned ip and the gateway ip, gut
14 > does not configure the device properly). Do some googling to fill in the
15 > details, I'm not using this regularly.
16
17 Wow, thanks for the clear and thorough reply!
18 I've recently upgraded to kernel 2.6.29.1 (i used to have 2.6.24 with
19 several external drivers) so i should be fine.
20 I'll give this a try asap, but since i have a day off tomorrow, i
21 might do some fiesta tonight, in any case, i should reply soon with
22 success or failure!
23
24 Thanks again! Simon