From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: -march=native is *EXTREMELY* conservative
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:46:58
1 On 12/18/2011 12:34 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 08:10:54PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote
3 >
4 >> The onboard GPU was initially incapable of handling 1080i video without
5 >> stuttering badly and dropping frames. After explicitly changing the
6 >> flags and rebuilding system+world+kernel, it displays 1080p videos
7 >> flawlessly. That's one big "co-incidence".
8 >
9 > This was only recently installed. Is it possible that the generic x86
10 > code from the initial install was the problem? And that emerging
11 > system+world got me full optimization?
12
13 Could be. It could also be it's because of "-mfpmath=sse". That's only
14 used by default on 64-bit. On 32-bit, the FPU is used for floating
15 point operations by default, which gives better precision (80 bit vs 64
16 bit) but slower speed.
17
18 But then again, that sounds too much of a performance difference. So if
19 I had to guess, I'd say it's because of the world rebuild that made sure
20 everything was built with proper optimizations.