From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] llvm fails to emerge
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 13:42:53
1 On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 03:22:00PM +0200, n952162 wrote:
2 > I think I've run into similar kinds of errors before, which may have be
3 > due to demanding too much from my vbox, so I tried setting -j1, but that
4
5 It's possible, admittedly probable, that you're running out of memory. LLVM is
6 not a small package, and takes time to compile on even the beefiest of hardware.
7 Considering that you're doing this inside a virtual machine, perhaps you should
8 try allocating some more memory to the virtualised system? If your host system
9 architecture matches that of the "guest", you could compile LLVM on the host and
10 use `quickpkg` to create a binary to transfer [1].
11
12 You could also try removing the `-pipe` option on the G++ invocations, as
13 sending mounds of data through pipes could stress the RAM, although I'd be
14 surprised if it made a difference on a relatively modern, albeit virtualised,
15 system [2].
16
17 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide#Using_quickpkg
18 [2] https://stackoverflow.com/a/1512947/