From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new box
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:12:25
1 On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 00:50 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > > I've got my new box booting correctly
3 > > & am c 30 % thro' re-merging all the pkgs listed by 'emerge -ep
4 > > system', some of which were installed from Stage 3, but now have
5 > later
6 > > versions. I never fall for 'emerge world' or 'emerge system':
7 >
8 > You don't trust emerge system, but you are 30% through emerge system?
9 >
10 > > there are far too many tales of woe on this list due to such trust
11 >
12 > Bad news travels, good news stays put. Think how noisy this list would
13 > gt
14 > if everyone posted every time they had a successful emerge!
15
16 Success. Actually on one of my boxes I have a cron job that runs once a
17 month that effectively does an 'emerge -e world'. And usually I have 2
18 or 3 out of 700+ packages fail (usually because /usr/src/linux isn't
19 pointing to the current kernel or once in a while avidemux will fail
20 (it's hard masked anyway).
21
22 But as always YMMV.
25 Albert W. Hopkins